At Brightin we don't make much use of personas, but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in them.
I started this project after I saw an example of a beautiful and simple Persona made by Messagefirst in the book "Designing for Emotion" by Aarron Walter.
I've started to do research on personas starting with bookshelves and the internet. Next to the research I also converted the example Persona of Messagefirst to HTML5 and CSS3, a good way to analyze and get to the essence of the Persona used by Messagefirst.
During my research, I read an approach in the Dutch book 'zo kan het ook', written by Concept7, to combine MBTI (Myer Briggs Type Indicator) with personas.
"The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) assessment is a psychometric questionnaire designed to measure psychological preferences in how people perceive the world and make decisions." - Wikipedia
The idea is you form your personas around the following 4 personality types:
- Competitive user, quick fact based decisions
- Spontaneous user, quick emotion based decisions
- Humanistic user, slow emotion based decisions
- Methodical user, slow fact based decisions
How can I use this to my benefit?
One of my standard requirements is to keep things simple, this should reflect also to Project RPG. I came up with the following options:
- Give the option to make 4 Persona's
- Make it easy to tell them apart, by giving them a different base color
- Make personality type an optional element